2.05.2006

The "Monkeyshines" Case - Entry 2

The piece of paper with "monkeyshines" on it wasn’t enough; I had to look the word up in the dictionary. What I found was both revealing and explanatory: A mischievous or playful trick; a prank.

This didn’t sit well with me from the get-go, and I took to accusingly glancing around the office for perpetrators of what could well go down as the Biggest Hoax in Lawson Detective Agency history. Randy, the "monkeyshines" paper errand-boy, came over to me wearing a mask of Shame that couldn’t have been more clear had it been carved out of soap-stone. He explained his disposition, elucidating that he felt "bad" because he had taken my parking spot yesterday, even though he told me, after I flew into a rage, that he didn’t know WHO’s car it was. Feeling the effects of the previous night’s combat with Sergeant Jack Daniel’s and his Hot Wing deputies, I assured him that, while the past was the past, I really should know the makes and models of my employees’ cars, as there were only five of whom in the office. He also explained that maybe, just maybe, I should get out of the office, as I was, apparently, giving everyone the "creeps"...a result, I’m assuming, of my accusatory glancing. Taking the hint, and not wanting the enthusiasm of the office to plummet any further after the "Stolen Parking Spot" tirade of the previous day, I left for the only place that held all of the answers to my unasked questions: One Duke.

Entry 3

No comments: