2.05.2006

The "Monkeyshines" Case - Entry 1

The word "monkeyshines" was handed to me on a crumpled piece of paper while I was enjoying the morning crossword with a cup of Guatemalan coffee. Surprised, a little confused, and in a world of full-bodied flavour, I turned to the one who brought me the note, asking where it had originated from. He informed me that it had just come in on the Lawson Detective Agency website, and he pulled it off the printer, giving it to me because, he said, it looked like I needed something to do. I then asked him who he thought he was, making judgments in regards to a senior officer's possible leisure time. He replied that he was Randy, and that it looked to him like my coffee was getting cold. I assured him that my coffee's temperature, and his sexual appetite, were none of my concern, and I proceeded to pepper him with questions as to why said note was all torn and crumpled...basically, just that one question. "Randy" had supposed, he explained, that if he handed me the piece of paper in question without it looking like a clue from some piece-of-crap TV detective show, that I wouldn't handle the case with my usual aplomb. I attempted to interject, but he continued with the information that all of my previous casefiles were handled in a similar manner, and that the Agency figured that this was the only way to get me excited about anything anymore.

It was a hard lesson, especially since this is MY Detective Agency, and a bad start to the case.

Entry 2

No comments: