2.12.2006

The "Monkeyshines" Case - Entry 7

Hominy...Tennessee Violins, OK? was staring at me from the artificially-weathered scrap of paper insouciantly laying on my desk. It was an anagram, that was for sure, as that phrase wouldn’t have made less sense had it been churned out in the first couple of decades by those million animal-abused monkeys during their million years of writing Shakespeare sonnets.

Off-topic as I was, swearing off of Rwandan coffee for good, as the "head-clearing blend" turned out to be the "forgot-who-I-was blend", putting me a full day behind in the "monkeyshines" case, and even further removed from the revenge I was seeking on a certain Randy...the hoosah-fooforah & general tomfoolery so prevalent in the Lawson Detective Agency offices was attributed, by me, to him, and the end was near. I could taste the sweet vengeance like the 4 creams & 8 sugars that I dissolve into every cup of our Motor-Oil office-coffee. Feeling decadent, diabetic, and drifting off into various dessert-delicacy dreams, I got to figuring out the code to break this case-hinging anagram wide open; unfortunately, due to the sugar-rush I acquired from the aforementioned office-coffee, I become too concerned with the varieties of sweets available in Tennessee and just about booked a plane ticket for Memphis, when I was interrupted by a power-outage caused by Randy "re-adjusting" the outside lights so that he could better see his car from his desk.

It seems that Randy, while updating our parking lot lighting system to a more aesthetically-pleasing version, had tripped the breakers and, in the process, saved me costly plane ticket & hotel accommodations, as well as what would have been an awkward presentation to the share-holders in regards to my expense report.

Moreover, while apologizing for the blackout, he squinted at my page and said "monkeyshines on television". Though the riddle’s answer didn’t exactly start me off and running, my head immediately stopped throbbing from the effort of trying to figure out how to figure out the anagram. Well done, Randy, I thought...you’ve earned your reprieve, however fleeting.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Entry 8

No comments: